[78-L] Phonograph records in the movies

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Oct 18 21:21:19 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Hmm..blue labels, grey labels, one with a gold label, a couple with white
> labels with blue print, MAYBE a red label if there was a special Columbia
> Record Club Freebee edition. Authentic shmauthentic. And that medical
> examiner
> may have been smoking funny cigarettes and having a flash forward.
>
> We just dug out "The Way We Were" which we hadn't watched in years. A few
> scenes take place in a New York radio studio in 1945..if I'm not mistaken,
> everything in that set is authentic, from the mikes to the big monitor
> speaker
> to the cabinet full of transcriptions in the control booth. A Columbia 78
> album
> I'm trying to remember is visible in one scene at Redford and Streisand's
> Hollywood home (for some reason I think it's the Stokowski "Masquerade
> Suite").
> And then they had to have "Papa Loves Mambo" (1954 hit) playing at a
> garden
> party in 1948. (And what looked like a Corning Ware mixing bowl that
> wouldn't
> exist for another ten years.)

Well...an XXI-Jahrhundert "Continuity Expert" (who is probably wondering
"Did
people have TWO legs and TWO arms before the free market was invented...?!"
can't be bothered with year-to-year details...EVEN if he/she/it knew
where/how
to look up such obscurities...!

This is the XXI Jahrhundert! Things only count IF they can increase the
generated income!!

Of course, once we enter the Depression, all bets are off...?!

...stevenc