[78-L] Phonograph records in the movies

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 18 19:48:33 PDT 2008

Hmm..blue labels, grey labels, one with a gold label, a couple with white
labels with blue print, MAYBE a red label if there was a special Columbia
Record Club Freebee edition. Authentic shmauthentic. And that medical examiner
may have been smoking funny cigarettes and having a flash forward.

We just dug out "The Way We Were" which we hadn't watched in years. A few
scenes take place in a New York radio studio in 1945..if I'm not mistaken,
everything in that set is authentic, from the mikes to the big monitor speaker
to the cabinet full of transcriptions in the control booth. A Columbia 78 album
I'm trying to remember is visible in one scene at Redford and Streisand's
Hollywood home (for some reason I think it's the Stokowski "Masquerade Suite").
And then they had to have "Papa Loves Mambo" (1954 hit) playing at a garden
party in 1948. (And what looked like a Corning Ware mixing bowl that wouldn't
exist for another ten years.)

dl