[78-L] Phonograph records in the movies

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Sat Oct 18 17:37:43 PDT 2008

I don't know if I've seen the whole string or not, but I was reading some of the submissions about records in the movies.  (I do wish the forum would come back!)

Years ago when I was a kid, I saw a movie which I've never seen since called "The Blue Gardenia".  The only thing I remember about it was a close-up of a Victor 78 playing on a Gramophone.  It was probably about 3 seconds long but in my memory it was the feature scene of the whole movie.  Obviously, like everyone else, I've seen situations where an actor has played a record on an acoustic machine which has produced sound of the highest fidelity, if not stereo.  One more modern movie which had a "record" situation was "32 short movies about Glenn Gould", or whatever it was called.  In that movie, Glenn Gould hands a copy of his latest record to a cleaning woman for her to listen to.  It has a red label and I don't think a Glenn Gould record was ever produced with a red label, although I may be wrong.  With the proliferation of Glen Gould recordings around, surely it's a no-brainer to use an actual GG recording.

Another situation which isn't a movie but a TV series is the excellent series "The Murdoch Mysteries".  In this series which depicts 1895 Toronto, the medical examiner has an Edison disc player which looks identical to my own, which was purchased in December of 1917.

db