[78-L] Subject lines

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Oct 15 20:58:11 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter at cpl.net>
> Please provide a meaningful (and relevant) Subject line for your posts.
> A thread which has no Subject is heard to follow; one identifying only
> the digest is no better. When the topic has wandered from the Subject,
> the construct "was ..." is useful; it indicates that this is new stuff
> derived from a previous thread.
>
> Not all topics in this forum are of equal interest to me - and I suspect
> to most of the other members. It is convenient to read selectively and
> for that a meaningful Subject line is most helpful.

Some years back, I brought up the same point (the tendency of threads
to wander off until the cited "Subject:" entry loses all
relevance...!)...and
received unpleasant replies from folks who said they used the subject
lines, accurate or not, to keep message threads stored together...?!

Comment ca va?!

...stevenc