[78-L] Orville Knapp

J.F. Bennett citypointsb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 15:56:49 PDT 2008

Sean,

"Victor always said to adjust the turntable to 78, never
suggesting it be PLAYING while you do so (but not in one early catalog I
have where they suggest 76!).  If there was no heavy soundbox on the disc
and you adjust to 78, the speed is much closer to 76 when it is playing.  I
still wonder if that's why they did that..."

  That's quite possible. I have to admit I usually set the speed without the
Sound-Box down unless I'm trying to determine a speed-usually a Red Seal as
you well know. :-)
  Were there any serious audiophile clubs in the twenties or thirties?

Phonographically,

John B.