[78-L] Orville Knapp

Sean Miller smille1 at nycap.rr.com
Mon Oct 13 15:45:32 PDT 2008

Not that I've seen...the closest you might get are some of the early Victor
Red Seals (and mauve "Melba" label issues) where the key was on the label.
I suppose you would strike the note on your piano and run to the phonograph
to adjust the speed accordingly.  I doubt many people got it right!

Seriously though, Victor always said to adjust the turntable to 78, never
suggesting it be PLAYING while you do so (but not in one early catalog I
have where they suggest 76!).  If there was no heavy soundbox on the disc
and you adjust to 78, the speed is much closer to 76 when it is playing.  I
still wonder if that's why they did that...

Sean