[78-L] Orville Knapp

Sean Miller smille1 at nycap.rr.com
Mon Oct 13 16:07:01 PDT 2008

Well certainly by the early 1930s there were when IRCC, HRS and Desmond
Shaw-Taylor began having early Lilli Lehmann Odeons repressed.  Those
(Lehmanns), interestingly enough, play mostly at 78!  I'd expect anyone that
was willing to pay extra cash for these discs especially during the height
of the depression would have been a little more concerned with correct
pitch.  Then again you never know for sure, considering some CD reissues
these days are still way off on proper pitch as many here can attest to!

The recent "big collection" I bought in the spring was owned by a real pitch
fanatic though who supposedly had "perfect pitch".  He wrote what he thought
was the correct playing speed in the inner leadout area of each disc in wax
pencil and he'd been at collecting since the late 30s or early 40s at the
latest.

Sean