[78-L] Moten's "South"

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 05:25:49 PDT 2008

Most copies of 24893 have 'South' from a dubbing.  What I found out
over at the Steve Hoffman site is, apparently there are only a very
few copies of 24893 pressed from the original metal part.   The
original part's eccentric groove appears just like any other late-20s
Victor record.  But very early in the pressing runs for 24893 the
original stamper for 'South' broke and a dubbed re-master had to be
made, and that's what my copy has.  (I remember wondering many years
ago, when I got the record, why 'South''s leadout groove looked like a
1930s Victor even though it had the oval VE logo like the 1920s
records had, whilst the flip looked like the typical late 1920s items
always did.)

Sure enough, the take digit says '1R'....