[78-L] sleeve date needed

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Thu Oct 9 16:11:04 PDT 2008

Awesome find! I think you're right; This book: http://tinyurl.com/489p3k , from 1917, says that Trainer's was a hotel at S. Broad and Locust. 123 would be another block north, between Walnut and Sansom.

There's another picture of this part of Broad Street, looking south from City Hall, on page 17 of the guidebook, but it's much too low a resolution to make out any of the shops or signs.

An amusing (?) clip from the guidebook: "Philadelphia has a large foreign population, the greater part of which inhabits the section east of Broad St. and south of Locust St. [very near the Victor store]. This section, in which once the society of the city resided, has been given over almost entirely to foreigners, including Russians, Jews, Italians, Syrians, Greeks, and Hungarians. Churches and theaters here are supported exclusively by the foreign element, and a most picturesque life may be observed, particularly in the Italian section."

--
Steve.

From: "Sam Brylawski" <goodlistening at gmail.com>