[78-L] Red Nichols Experts -

Andrew Homzy andrew.homzy at gmail.com.invalid
Fri Dec 2 15:30:46 PST 2022

Thanks Inigo, for your quick reply.

The Red And Miff's Stompers :  New York, February 11, 1927 - is earlier, with a bigger band and a more elaborate arrangement.

 Red Nichols (cnt) Miff Mole (tb) Jimmy Dorsey (cl,as) Alfie Evans (tenor sax) Arthur Schutt (p) Joe Tarto (tu) Vic Berton (hot tympani and percussion) - Tony Colucci (bj) very softly replaces Eddie Lang.

I hear no tuba - just wonderful tympani playing. Also, Alfie Evans plays tenor - not alto. So, there are some important errors in the Lord discography. Also, the arrangement is ny Paul Mertz.
I wonder if any Nichols experts have picked-up on these points  -

I’d love to hear the alternate take, but can’t find it. Could someone send me an mp3?

The Charleston Chasers version is slower and the arrangement is much simpler. In the alternate take, the clarinet takes the break, instead of Bix's whole-tone scale harmonized for the three horns, as in the master take.

Nichols also recorded Davenport in 1939 with a big band, supposedly arranged by Billy Maxted, but another source says Marks - but gives no first name.

I’d love to hear this as well. Again, an mp3 would be greatly appreciated.

In 1958, Red did it again with a large group arranged by Heinie Beau - and bringing back the hot-timpani.

Red loved Bix - as testified in his recordings of Davenport Blues and arrangements of his piano pieces: In A Mist and Candlelights.  Red also commissioned arrangements of Flashes and In The Dark, but they were never recorded.

Thanks for considering my requests.

Andrew