[78-L] Big Band Era

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com.invalid
Sun Jun 28 02:42:14 PDT 2020

I guess that ”country of origin” is precisely what’s not the case regarding ”world music”. On the contrary: this is music across cultural, ethnic and geographical borders.

But the concept actually came into use when ”folk music” no longer was useful to include musical acts from Asia, Africa, the Balkans etc which were heavily infuenced by Western musical styles.
Nobody thought of labelling the music oh Gottschalk, Ketèlbey or even the exotica of Les Baxter as ”world music”, but soon after the concept was introduced European folk music and rock bands with exotic instruments and mixed repertoire were included in the concept, as well as traditional Celtic rockers like Runrig & Malicorne.
Although all musical labels are unprecise and questionable I still think ”world music” is useful and, anachronistically, includes a lot of 78 era recordings.

Sent from my iPhone

>>> 78-L at klickitat.78online.com