[78-L] 78s for radio exercise programs

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com.invalid
Mon May 4 23:41:03 PDT 2020

In the 1920s, there was an exercise craze, based on a fad called the
"Daily Dozen" (a series of 12 exercises, originally created by Walter
Camp; these simple calisthenics were supposed to help one to become
physically fit, even in the comfort of one's home). For some reason,
radio got involved in the exercise craze, and various programs (which
I've written about in an essay you can find online called "Exercise and
Expertise") featured the exercises, led by a friendly host who guided
you through them each morning. But I'm trying to find out which songs
were used-- I recall seeing advertisements in newspapers for these
programs (and the ads mentioned  the names of the local stores that sold
the exercise records, but the ads I saw _didn't_ mention the songs-- it
just said the store had the exercise records). I also recall a couple of
newspaper articles from the early 1920s, that discussed those
recordings, the ones that were based on Walter Camp's Daily Dozen... but
I can't find my notes. Anyone know which songs from the early to mid
1920s might have been used on these radio exercise programs, and who
performed them?

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies