[78-L] Playing a broken 78

Rodger J Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Tue Apr 7 19:24:53 PDT 2020

The absolute master at gluing shellac 78s is Martin Fisher from MTSU's
Center for Popular Music.  I've seen his repairs where I could hardly see
the fix.
He uses Elmer's.  It is a water-soluble light duty craft glue.  Another
friend of mine is a genuine PhD archaeologist who digs in Biblical sites in
Israel and Egypt.  That's what those guys use to repair ancient clay pots.
The nature of the glue is such that if you screw up, a little water erases
your boo-boo and you're ready for Take 2.

I've watch Martin do this and have tried with limited success to reproduce
his results.  It can be done.
Some tips:
1-Elmer's.  Only.  Thinly apply with toothpick.  It takes very little, much
less than you would expect.  Try to avoid excess.
2-Be sure the record and the pieces are clean.
3-If the disc is warped, try to flatten both the disc and the pieces,
otherwise it will never work.
4-work on a surface that will not hold the glue if it oozes out.  I used
plate glass; doesn't stick or tear if it does stick a little.  If it sticks
from oozing through the crack, you probably used too much glue to begin with
and you should consider a second try.  I've gotten by with a little oozing
at the outside rim, but otherwise oozing indicates it's a botched job.
5-Practice on as many junkers as you can before attempting the real fix on
something you really want to try to save.
6-rub the excess glue off the surface with your fingers.  For the final
touch, use a damp finger.  If done right, it will play with your best
cartridge.

Failing that, wait for Martin to weigh in with the golden touch.  I'm sure
I've missed something.

Rodger Holtin
78-L Member Since MCMXCVIII

For Best Results Use Victor Needles