[78-L] For 78's, What Does Transcription Mean?

Rodger J. Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Wed Apr 1 09:09:11 PDT 2020

And, there’s another twist to the story. By the early 1950s to say that something was “transcribed…” was actually some point of respectability/credibility.

To wit, in the very early 1950s my Alma Mater begin a series of taped weekly radio programs that were distributed throughout the US, primarily the Southeast. Some media consultant along with Memphis flamethrower WMAQ who helped shape it and the tape duplicating company all suggested that they include the term “transcribed” in the narration because denoted some level of technical professionalism - kinda like everybody using their www.com as part of their advertising 15 or 20 years ago.  Of course, it didn’t take very many years for that to become old hat and it was discontinued by the middle 1960s.

Rodger Holtin
78-L Member Since MCMXCVIII

For Best Results Use Victor Needles

Sent from my sluggish old iPhone, which explainz any bad typjng, bad spellimg, nonsensical word choices, delays and all other lapses.