[78-L] 78 Playing tonearm combination is broken.

Doug Duncan d_duncan at ntlworld.com.invalid
Sun Mar 29 10:47:40 PDT 2020

Hi All,

The arm on the turntable I've been using for many years has broken and
it may be that it isn't repairable. I am therefore considering what to
do about it.

The existing set up is a Garrard 401 motor unit in a custom timber
plinth that was made for me by a then co-worker. The arm is a Rega RB200
that has an interchangeable headshell with a Stanton 500e cartridge with
DSC stylus. This has been used for 78s (and 33s and the odd 45 using a
different cartridge) for longer than I care to remember.

Although I'm still looking into repairing the arm or sourcing a
replacement of the same form factor I'm prepared to consider any
variation or even a used turntable.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a new turntable that does 78s
and preferably other formats too. I may otherwise have to accommodate
multiple turntables. I'm in the UK and that may restrict the field.

Best Regards,

Doug

--
Doug Duncan