[78-L] Why Do You Care About 78's?

David Jessup dgjessup at hotmail.com.invalid
Thu Mar 5 12:48:20 PST 2020

I seem to share some experiences with other 78-L members as children, so...

Early memories are of hearing children's records (stuff like the 7-inch yellow-wax Peter Pan issues, along with earlier Children's Record Guild (?) and the like.

My grandmother was a kindergarten / elementary school teacher (and grandfather a school district supervisor) so she had these as teaching aids. Some are still in a box in my office.

Later, like J E Knox and others, I realized the swing band stuff I wanted to hear originated on 78s, and because many are essentially direct master recordings, they're the best sound source.

(Love vinyl test pressings & radio station promos!)

Given my published work and continuing research, it's essential I deal with 'em.

Overriding all that... they're fun!

Dave Jessup