[78-L] Why Do You Care About 78's?

rspencer11 at charter.net.invalid rspencer11 at charter.net.invalid
Tue Mar 3 20:21:25 PST 2020

Dear Dave,

This is a nice idea!

I first became interested in 78s when my Mom gave me about two dozen of them when I got my first decent record player when I was five years old. The records were from about 1915–1935, but to me at the time they seemed positively prehistoric. Many of them had huge labels, and some were brick red! I was fascinated, and I ended up greatly liking about half of them, notably "How Many Times/Sleepy Head" by Nick Lucas and "Everybody Step"/"How Many Times" by Jockers' Dance Orchestra. She planted a seed that started growing right away, but didn't really flower until I was in my Forties. And I still have those records in my collection, and replacement copies of all the records she gave me that I liked.

I continue to care about them mostly because I care about the music that they contain. I enjoy listening to the music, and studying it. I have a particular interest, for some reason, in the 1915–1935 period.

Thanks, Mom! You're the best!

Yours,

Rob Spencer