[78-L] Why Do You Care About 78's?

Malcolm malcolm at 78data.com.invalid
Tue Mar 3 19:09:04 PST 2020

Both good questions, Dave.
I was born in the mid 1940s and my father was in the music promotion
business, so there were always 78s, and those pesky musicians, around
the house. Turns out I had a bent for electronics and began assembling
all sorts of audio gear in the 50s from surplus war electronics. I had
built my first passive equalizers by the time I was 10. My father bought
me a 1/2-track Webcor tape machine right around the same time so I was
off and running.
I still have some of the promo 78s my dad got back then and, over the
years, my interest blossomed into discography.
I was also a piano whiz and, so, a musician.
Put them all together and each interest supported the other. I still
collect 78s and happily toil away at discography but I quit performing
about 20 years ago. Too old to keep toting amps, pianos and speaker
cabinets around. Plus somewhere along the line I lost my sense of pitch
and so my singing voice. It's a physical problem and hasn't gotten
better over the years. But that's life and it's okay.
As to why I still prefer 78s, one reason is they support my discographic
work, and vice versa. With audio technology being what it is today
keeping 78s is the safest and longest lasting method of archiving
material that would otherwise be lost, mis-mastered, badly stored, and
so forth. If you doubt this listen to just about any old tune that
originally appeared in, say, the 1920s from any one of today's audio
formats - MP3s come to mind. Now find the original 78 and play that. The
difference can be noticeable, if not astounding. If you've ever heard an
E condition Robert Johnson 78 against even the best intentioned audio
manipulator's commercial product (I have) you'll know exactly what I'm
talking about.
There's more but I'll hold off until more folks on the list have replied.
Mahalos for the topic!
Malcolm R

*******