[78-L] Al & Bob Harvey

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca.invalid
Sat Aug 31 06:37:33 PDT 2019

That Canadian Decca 1888 is odd..the seller must have used an incorrect number.
Compo would have put it in the Apex numbering series (26xxx) whether they
called it Apex, Decca or Melotone or any other name they had represented, and
taken it somehow from a broadcast because it had no connection with EMI other
than Odeon/Parlophone, and the original is on Regal or Columbia, I'm
certain..as well as NOT being listed as by Al and Bob but as a fake hillbilly
duo. I had the disc but it and the listing for the compilation I did years ago
have disappeared. (Compo did sometimes lift broadcast tracks.)

Decca 1888 is Bing Crosby and Compo would certainly not have reassigned a
number on a Crosby item. Only after 1940 did they futz around, raising some
numbers and lowering others, and always into a 10000 series.

I had all this stuff, as I say, so I also want to confirm the English Decca
numbers from John Rogers. Good Luck was on a single sided test pressing and
Somewhere in England/You Never Miss the Old Faces were definitely on the same
disc. (Wonder why I didn't have In the Quartermaster's Stores? I'll have to see
if that's on one of the wartime lp compilations Decca did in the 70s.)

Thanks for all this.

dl