[78-L] 78 grove spacing

ron at fial.com.invalid ron at fial.com.invalid
Wed Aug 14 16:59:05 PDT 2019

I saw no activity, so I was just testing that everything was OK on the 78-L server.

Here is a question.   I know that grove excursion must be limited to keep loud low-frequency
passages from breaking to an adjacent grove when cutting a record.  This can be done with
level limiter, volume compression and (egads) clipping and low frequency limiting.

I recall that in the vinyl era there were automatic means to create greater grove spacing for
loud passages.  I could be mistaken.

What methods were used for 78-RPM records.  Was someone riding the volume control and
watching the VU meter, when that came along.  What technologies if any were used and
when did they come along.  There may have been allowance for the grove getting wider with
many playings, right?  I suppose a microscope used on acoustic and early electricals would
reveal much.    Any one here already know?

Ron Fial