[78-L] Columbia Hall of Fame Series Discography

J. E. Knox rojoknox at gmail.com.invalid
Sun Jul 28 09:38:18 PDT 2019

Greetings from RojoLand!

Dave King wrote:

> I apologize to everyone, I should have been even more precise.  This all began when I found an old 10-inch record album.  Now after further research, I am not sure if the record album in question is shellac or vinyl, or even if it is 78 rpm.
>
> This album is part of the Columbia “Hall of Fame Series”:  Frankie Laine, record album # 50006, 10-inch, one song per each side - which makes me think it is 78 rpm.  Song on one side is Jezebel, RHCO 4455.  Song on the other side is Jealousy (Jalousie), RHCO 4595.  Both sides show album # 50006. <snip>

It is in fact a 78-rpm reissue of two earlier sides:

Jezebel — original release Columbia 39367 (45-rpm 4-39367). Recorded at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, 4 Apr 1951 (you have the matrix numbers already for both sides).
Jealousy — original release Columbia 39585 (45-rpm 4-39585). Recorded at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, circa Sep 1951. (45worlds database gives date of 26 Oct 1951 which is more likely a release date.)

Take care,
—
J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"