[78-L] ^White Christmas

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net.invalid
Tue Dec 25 12:27:46 PST 2018

On 12/25/2018 1:57 PM, Rodger Holtin 78-L wrote:
> Merry Christmas, 78-L!
>
> OK, back to business.
>
> Even my grandkids believe the holidays are properly validated by watching White Christmas. I consider myself a success. However there are crucial questions that I cannot answer and so I turn to my friends.
>
> In the early scenes of the Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye movie White Christmas, they are apparently playing a show in Florida. Wallace and Davis have two train tickets for New York.  They show the girls in the Pullman sleeper and Wallace and Davis spend the night "in a drafty old club car."  How long would that trip have been in 1954?  Overnight or two nights? More?  Less?

This was just postwar, so the trains likely were not yet onto the
free-fall of the fifties. It was possibly a two-day trip, with a
changeover in DC. There were expresses coming out of Florida with
perhaps one stop per state. Coast trains went through Penn Station, just
as the modern Vermonter does now. But then there were trains running
north farther west. Two days would be a stretch. Not at all possible
nowadays, though the route exists.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.
Technology...responsibly, thoughtfully