[78-L] Hum removal using Audacity

Doug Duncan d_duncan at ntlworld.com.invalid
Tue Jun 12 07:59:53 PDT 2018

I read the recent discussion of the removal of hum noise using Nero or
Goldwave.

One of the comments that Rodger made was that he also had Audacity
loaded on the machine he was using but there didn't seem to be anything
there to help with hum reduction. So today, when I was using Audacity
for the first time in ages, I also looked for that. I'm assuming that
the additional plug-ins have been downloaded. You can select the notch
filter effect and enter the centre frequency of 50 or 60 Hz and a Q and
then apply it and listen. If it is enough then great and if it isn't
enough then undo to get back to the input state and change parameters
and go again until you get to the best solution.

I've always felt that Audacity was very good. At the moment I'm using it
to hand carve the cyclic swish noise off a recording waveform and the
result is very good albeit labour intensive.

Doug

--
Doug Duncan

---