[78-L] Nelson Riddle Question

kil at roadrunner.com.invalid kil at roadrunner.com.invalid
Fri Feb 16 19:39:13 PST 2018

"J. E. Knox" wrote:
>Greetings from RojoLand!
>Not online AFAIK. Capitol discog shows Arnold Ross. Los Angeles, 19 October 1955 (overdubbed 24 October). US issue on Capitol 3287 (I'm pretty sure I have the 78 as well).
>Take care,
>>Joe

Well, that's an eye-opener.  I thought for a minute that we might now have a three-way mystery going, but with Ross' name I was able to track down this quote from the book, "September in the Rain: The Life of Nelson Riddle".....
"Ross, one of the outstanding unsung bebop piano players, had worked for Harry James, Lena Horne, and Frank Sinatra, among others, and was revered by all of them.  He sightread the piano parts perfectly on the first take of LISBON ANTIGUA, which was recorded on October 19, 1955.  "Sweets" Edison played a brief trumpet solo, repeating the same figure Arnold was playing on the piano, thus incorporating a soupçon of jazz into the arrangement."
So, mystery solved, your source was right, Joe.  Thanks you for that.  I wonder how those other rumors got started.
RayK