[78-L] Grammy Hall of Fame 2018

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Fri Jan 26 07:23:02 PST 2018

A few 78s were added to the Hall of Fame in 2018

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/david-bowie-whitney-houston-dr-dre-recor
dings-added-grammy-hall-fame

"Representing jazz, the King Cole Trio's 1946 song "(I Love You) For
Sentimental Reasons," Billie Holiday's 1937 version of "My Man" and Louis
Armstrong & His Hot Five's 1927 track "Savoy Blues" have been inducted."

There may be others.  Their page is hard to navigate and my
point-and-click-and-scroll-some-more quotient maxes out quickly.

Looking over this list found on the official site, however,

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/awards/hall-of-fame#s

I see that the ODJB record of Darktown Strutters Ball was an inductee in
2006.  I'm sure this must have raised a few eyebrows here at the time, but I
don't remember it.  Be that as it may, my noticing it now raises a few
questions for me.

Nowhere on their official site do they enumerate WHY a performance was
selected for the Hall of Fame, save for this quote at the top of the page:

".to honor recordings of lasting qualitative or historical significance that
are at least 25 years old."

If their rationale for each of these is posted online somewhere I would love
to see it.  This strikes me as a major failing in as much as the historical
significance of these performances is lost, leaving future generations
unschooled.

If they tell us Darktown was listed as the first jazz record, it calls into
question the old now-debunked story of workmen throwing hammers in the
studio while LaRocca et al created their own cacophony in the studio, and
it's time to make a new selection (Victor 18255) instead.

Have they listed their reasons for inclusion anywhere?

Rodger Holtin

Henderson, TN

For best results use Victor Needles

---