[78-L] Goodman / Carnegie at 80

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net.invalid
Sat Jan 20 05:46:05 PST 2018

On 1/19/2018 10:23 PM, Rodger Holtin wrote:
> I've had the Lp for decades.  Don't know why, but I had always assumed these
> were originally cut on 16" at 33 1/3, as an air-check-like format.  I don't
> recall detecting any 78 noise on the Lp set, but they were a tad dull, and
> listening to the 1999 Sony CD this week, these sure sound like 78s.  Doug's
> note below mentions 24 discs, but I was not sure if those were 78 rpm dubs
> made for the convenience of consumer players.  Now I'm really curious.
>
> What were the originals?
> Where was the lathe, or lathes - in a back room at Carnegie or was this done
> over a wire to some studio?
>
> I'm guessing all this has been covered here before, and we've batted around
> Carnegie Hall a lot in the last 25 years on 78-L, but I don't remember it if
> these topics were covered.
The recordings were done by wire. http://www.jitterbuzz.com/carcon.html
Four lathes were used, not all at the same exact speed, lending to the
difficulties of early edits. Sound quality was compromised several times
along the path and there was no onsite engineering to speak of. It was
all quite primitive, even by period standards. We are fortunate to have
the quality we have.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.
Technology...responsibly, thoughtfully