[78-L] "new" records

Malcolm malcolm at 78data.com.invalid
Fri Dec 15 09:52:33 PST 2017

Hi Inigo!
Nice hearing from you and nice to know you're still on 78L. Most
everyone else seems
to have migrated over to Facebook nowadays.
I have the same filing/sorting problems and solutions you do. With
10,000 + 78s I couldn't
find things anymore.
How I sort depends on the collection - jazz, blues, Hawaiian, general
pop, etc. - I am
indexing.
I do my Hawaiian 78s by label, consecutively numbered by issue number
for each label.
I generally do all other categories by artist. I don't do any by song
title. Those are easy
enough to search within my two main sorting categories.
I do most of my indexing in Word, a common PC word processor.
The flip side to all this is of course trying to find rogue index
listings within a collection.
I had a buyer who insisted I was holding out on him because I could not
find a couple
of rare records I had listed in my index but could not find anywhere.
And boy did I search!
I didn't sell them and forget to change the index and I still haven't
found them.
They're probably stashed somewhere "safe." Hah!
And I enjoy surprises when I find a record I hadn't listed for one
reason or another. This
is particularly common in some of the earliest records I have in my
collection, especially
when transferring from an old digital storage format to a newer one.
But isn't that one of the things that makes record collecting fun?
Sure it is! (Hah)
Stay in touch.
Best,
Mal