[78-L] Gaiety Records - Diana Johns, Lillian Uttal

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com.invalid
Sat Dec 2 20:24:52 PST 2017

On 12/2/2017 9:04 PM, Thomas Stern wrote:
> She had a brother, Fred Uttal, a radio announcer in NYC.

I've got some more information about Fred-- he was indeed an announcer
and sometimes entertainer; he joined CBS Radio in 1931, and also worked
at such stations as WOR and WJZ in New York.  He also was master of
ceremonies for several early TV shows.  He too died young (his sister
was 44; he lived to 55) in 1963.   As for Lillian, her suicide note,
about never being able to behave, made me wonder what she meant, and I
may have that part figured out-- she did marry Ernest Bohrman in 1931,
but they seem to have gotten divorced, because I see a woman with her
same name married to wealthy businessman named Isadore Alter later in
the decade (they too got divorced circa 1940-- in Reno)-- in fact, there
was a scandal about her in 1941, where she made the tabloids for having
been unfaithful, and her ex contested the alimony he was supposed to pay
her.  She was also identified as a "night club singer." Still trying to
see what I can find about Gaiety Records.