[78-L] RIP Jon Hendricks, George Avakian

Michael Shoshani michael.shoshani at gmail.com.invalid
Thu Nov 23 09:13:25 PST 2017

I remember seeing Mr. Avakian post, I'm wanting to say in a Usenet group
but it might have been 78-L. This was at least 20 years ago, when Columbia
Legacy issued the "Ellington at Newport" album with the original concert in
stereo thanks to synching tapes from Columbia and Voice of America.

The main thrust was reissue producer Phil Schaap had strongly intimated
that George Avakian strongarmed Duke Ellington into the studio to re-record
the main part of his appearance at the concert, then hoodwinked the public
by dubbing crowd noises in and issuing the album as entirely live. As I
recall, Mr. Avakian pointed out in whichever forum it was that the Newport
Suite was unfinished during the concert, that it was Ellington's idea to
re-gather in the studio and rerecord a more polished version, that mixing
concert tape with studio waxing with crowd overdubs was standard accepted
practice in the 1950s and was considered no more nefarious than the
practice of editing together a composite piece from the best of multiple
takes, and that no one forced Duke Ellington to do anything he didn't want
to do, period.

That. Was quite a debate, friends.

Michael Shoshani
Chicago