[78-L] OT: Multitrack recording

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com.invalid
Mon Sep 11 13:02:42 PDT 2017

Seems a new hobby for Hi-Fi freaks is to obtain copies of original
master tapes. According to a collector I know the sound quality is so
much better than the one you get from a first pressing, and the loss of
quality is marginal from one copy to another.
It's hard to believe that, with original masters being as fragile as
they are and probably not suitable for making a multitude of copies.

What I'd like to know is for how long or how often two-track recordings
were made in recording studios, as compared to three-track and, later,
four-track. The tape copies on sale today seem to be two-track and are
said to be "original", but could they be "bounced" from three-track? If
so, did the record companies do this kind of bouncing themselves for
some reason?
Kristjan

---