[78-L] Shure M44G vs M44-7

Christopher Steward chris.1picc at yahoo.co.uk.invalid
Mon Apr 10 01:21:59 PDT 2017

I sometimes use a (modern) M44G for LPs, and find its frequency response quite even. I had the opportunity to try an N44-7 stylus for a short time, and found its bass somewhat bloated. However, the N44G stylus is specified with a maximum tracking force of 1.5g, which most people would consider inadequate for 78s; I use a Stanton 500 with a number of styli (an original 78 stylus and retipped 500AL styli) at about 5-6g and have had no problems with bottoming. There have been a number of suggestions that the current M44 is not on a par with the original ones, but no-one has identified a difference - maybe just poor quality control.Chris