[78-L] KBS Transcriptions, and more

Malcolm malcolm at 78data.com.invalid
Fri Mar 17 17:12:42 PDT 2017

Do we have someone on the list who's up on on transcription discs,
specifically KBS (Keystone) 16" radio transcriptions? I am attempting to
date some records from this manufacturer and keep coming up blank. I do
know the trade style was first used in December 1940, and it was
registered on Feb. 6, 1942, and that's about it.
Generally I am looking for label histories and dating guides, if
possible, for most Radio Transcriptions - on any size disc - from c.
1935 until they went out of use. Would the last issues be for AFRS/AFRTS
(Armed Forces Radio Services / Armed Forces Radio & Television Services)
records? I don't know the year, but I think it's late... maybe in the
late 70s / early 80s?
There must be a reference work out there somewhere, besides Prof. Biel's
thesis, about these discs and their producers.
But info is being very elusive. And I think it'll be a long slog through
Billboard for me to find anything pertaining! I'd better get started...
Malcolm R