[78-L] About record sleeves

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com.invalid
Wed Nov 23 05:20:47 PST 2016

Here's what happened in Sweden (and I guess in most other countries):
the discs were shipped in thin paper sleeves from the record companies
(usually with the company logo on them), but many dealers repacked the
discs and used their own sleeves. I doubt that the record companies
would have agreed to administer this work. That would have meant to
store great supplies of record sleeves from hundreds or thousands of
different dealers, just in order to get rid of some of the marketing
space in people's homes...
Kristjan

On 2016-11-23 12:01, elodie-roy at aliceadsl.fr.invalid wrote:
> Dear List-Members, I hope this finds you all well. I would have a
> little question about gramophone record sleeves.... I live in
> Scotland, and over the years I have accumulated - and grown quite
> fascinated with - sleeves bearing the names, logos and addresses of
> local gramophone dealers... I am intrigued, too, by the many ways in
> which these sleeves are assembled (machine-stitched, glued, etc), and
> by their different textures, colours, etc. This heterogeneity seems to
> suggest that the sleeves were produced and printed in many different
> places, but I am not sure about this at all. Would you know whether
> discs would be shipped from the pressing plant to individuals dealers
> across the country, who would personally slip them into their own
> sleeves? Or were discs and sleeves made and shipped together? I would
> be grateful for any information you may have on the topic. Thank you
> 78-L mailing list 78-L at klickitat.78online.com

---