[78-L] Groove spacing - groove width

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net.invalid
Sat Nov 19 04:53:49 PST 2016

On 11/19/2016 4:53 AM, Kristjan Saag wrote:
> When recording went electric one of the consequences was the ability to
> avoid overcutting - it became easier to control loud signals. Thus
> groove spacing was affected: the number of grooves per inch or
> centimetre was increased, recording time per disc side could also be
> increased.
> But apart from groove spacing - is there any evidence that groove width
> was affected as well? As we know different record companies used
> different groove width both before and after the advent of electric
> recording, and it's also clear that groove width generally decreased
> with time. But I've seen no mention of a major change haven taken place
> due to electric recording.
> Does anyone know more about this?
> Kristjan

I think it is more likely that you will discover that the width of the
grooves did not change appreciably, but the ability to do some sort of
equalization allowed the grooves to be crowded in better. The slowest
change was on the playback end. This seemed to hold back progress more
than anything else, particularly in sight of the hardships created by
the depression.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.

Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.