[78-L] Groove spacing - groove width

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com.invalid
Sat Nov 19 02:53:09 PST 2016

When recording went electric one of the consequences was the ability to
avoid overcutting - it became easier to control loud signals. Thus
groove spacing was affected: the number of grooves per inch or
centimetre was increased, recording time per disc side could also be
increased.
But apart from groove spacing - is there any evidence that groove width
was affected as well? As we know different record companies used
different groove width both before and after the advent of electric
recording, and it's also clear that groove width generally decreased
with time. But I've seen no mention of a major change haven taken place
due to electric recording.
Does anyone know more about this?
Kristjan

---