[78-L] Does anybody know whether it is possible to make a 78 rpm record that could be play on an acoustic phonograph?

Malcolm malcolm at 78data.com.invalid
Fri Nov 11 17:47:11 PST 2016

Hardest part would be recreating the chemical formula for the shellac
disc itself. There are a few formulas - mostly the experimental ones -
around in various archives but they were carefully guarded by the
manufacturers and anyone with the knowledge to formulate them died with
the process and are also not around anymore. Also, the formulas were for
bulk manufacture and would be even more difficult to reproduce in small
batches. Kind of like having the recipe for 1000 loaves of bread and
trying to assemble the ingredients for just one loaf.
All the other steps to making a 78 are still around to one degree or
another.
There are still record presses and companies that make records but
they're all set up for plastic, not shellac.
Good luck!
Malcolm

*******