[78-L] Pressing 78 RPM recordings

Rodger Holtin 78-L rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Thu Sep 15 15:55:12 PDT 2016

That's what set Columbia apart from the pack. Their laminated layers allowed them to use the good stuff for the outside playing surface and used the coarse junk as the core. War time Victors are a little worse than the prewar stuff, declining as the war progressed.  I can see that by pulling stuff off my shelves in numerical order. It's obvious to the naked eye.  Deccas were always crappy and only got worse. I'm amazed that Capitols are as good as they are - only slightly better than Deccas - if any.  Oddly enough, however, I have had a couple samples from both Decca and Capitol that are very nice.  Gotta wonder who screwed up. Could be postwar repressings but being war-themed tunes I have my doubts.

I would think the trace amounts of steel left behind would be nothing to contend with compared to the carborundum already in the mix. Those records were gritty when they were new and didn't smooth out much until the late forties.

Sent from my iPhone, which explainz any bad typjng and nonsensical word choices.