[78-L] glass record mystery

Malcolm malcolm at 78data.com.invalid
Mon Sep 5 00:01:43 PDT 2016

Only thing I can think of is an odd lacquer mixture with something in it
that wouldn't pass light.
Why is a whole other question.
I have found that, on glass discs in my collection made in the
Netherlands during WW2 at about the same time as yours are, lacquer
flaking is even more prevalent than on aluminum based disks. I've often
wondered why the glass wasn't buffed opaque rather than transparent to
allow better adhesion of the lacquer. Nothing gross, just enough
scuffing to allow better sticking.
I don't think I have ever seen any kind of glass that light wouldn't
through, even sunlight.
Malcolm

*******