[78-L] Benny Goodman

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com.invalid
Sun Jun 26 07:13:18 PDT 2016

On 6/26/2016 9:19 AM, Jeff Sultanof wrote:
> Most likely it *was *Yiddlsh, especially during that period. Among most
> Jewish families, Yiddish was spoken in the home, and English was spoken out
> in the world. Parents relied on children to teach them English, which they
> learned in school and out on the street.

I'd be shocked if it weren't Yiddish.  Most European Jewish immigrants
spoke Yiddish as their lingua franca-- it had different accents (folks
from Lithuania pronounced words slightly differently from folks who came
from Russia or Poland-- for example, you said "zy gezoont"-- you should
be healthy till next we meet... a way to say goodbye-- if you were a
Litvak, a Jew from Lithuania.  But if you were from Russia, you
pronounced it zy ge-zint), but it was the common language for Jewish
immigrants, and I grew up in a bilingual home as a result.  My parents
were born here-- my mother's side from Lithuania, and my father's from
Russia. Their parents and relatives were not born here, however, and
Yiddish was used both to communicate with the relatives and to speak in
a "code" when my parents didn't want us kids to understand what they
were saying (which is how I learned it). And yes, it's true that the
children were expected to learn English and translate for their parents
and other relatives, much like we see today with immigrants from China,
Vietnam, or Spanish-speaking countries.  As for Benny's mother,
biographers note that she never learned to read or write (schooling for
girls in many countries back then was limited or was not a priority).