[78-L] Lecture in NYC by Prof. Edwin Seroussi, Jewish Music Forum, April 18th

Joel Bresler joel.br at verizon.net.invalid
Tue Apr 5 07:50:42 PDT 2016

Apologies for cross posting.

In case anyone would like to attend, we'll be speaking about our latest
project:

http://www.jewishmusicforum.org/

"New Sounds of Old Judeo-Spanish Songs"
Dr. Edwin Seroussi (Emanuel Alexandre Professor of Musicology, The Hebrew
University of Jerusalem and Director, The Jewish Music Research Centre),
contributor Joel Bresler, and discussant Dr. Stephen Blum (CUNY Graduate
Center).

Monday, April 18, 2016 at 7pm.
Center for Jewish History
15 West 16th Street, New York, NY
Admission is free.
Please RSVP to: info at jewishmusicforum.org

Some of the oldest recordings of Sephardic music (c.1906-1913), have
recently resurfaced at the EMI Archive in London. Recorded in a variety of
locations in the Ottoman Empire, they feature the voices of legendary
performers of the Judeo-Spanish song at the turn of the twentieth century.
After being digitized, the Jewish Music Research Centre is preparing a
scholarly edition of these recordings to make them available to the public
worldwide.

Edwin Seroussi is the Joyce Z. Greenberg Visiting Professor in Jewish
Studies at the University of Chicago for Winter/Spring 2016.

Best,

Joel
Joel Bresler, Publisher
www.sephardicmusic.org
250 E. Emerson Road
Lexington, MA 02420
United States

1-781-862-4104 (Telephone & FAX)
joel.br at verizon.net
IN CASE OF VERIZON EMAIL PROBLEMS, PLEASE USE MY BACK-UP EMAIL:
joelbresler-at-gmail.com