[78-L] FW: [ARSCLIST] Max Morath - early recordings

Thomas Stern sternth at attglobal.net.invalid
Sat Apr 2 20:03:34 PDT 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST at LISTSERV.LOC.GOV] On Behalf Of Thomas Stern
Sent: Saturday, April 2, 2016 10:20 PM
To: ARSCLIST at LISTSERV.LOC.GOV
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Max Morath - early recordings

Thanks David and Don.

To clarify:
MUSIC FOR MOOCHERS, GOLD DIGGERS AND CATTLE RUSTLERS was compiled from the
first albums Max cut on GOLD CAMP for release on AL LEVITT's SAN FRANCISCO
label - Levitt died, and SF was taken over by BARBARY COAST.  The SF albums
were re-released on TALKING MACHINE and BARBARY COAST labels.
Max wrote he thought this album had some added sound effects, and there may
have been some tracks cut for the album (i.e. NOT from the GOLD CAMP
albums).

I have NOT seen a version on the SAN FRANCISCO label, only on TALKING
MACHINE and BARBARY COAST, though it gets referred to as San Francisco.  The
Talking Machine release was reviewed in BILLBOARD in 1957, and the BARBARY
COAST has a 1959 or 1960 date.  The Barbary Coast issue has either an SLP or
BC catalog prefix, and the jacket had some minor revisions.  I would like to
know if anyone knows that it was issued on the San Francisco label.

Best wishes, Thomas.