[78-L] 78-L Digest, Vol 89, Issue 13

Evan MacBeth evan.macbeth at optusnet.com.au.invalid
Thu Feb 18 00:48:56 PST 2016

I had a listen to these with interest, and also lined them up against the version heard on "Up and at 'em -  The Hottest Of The California Ramblers On Edison", Retrieval RTR-79067, as transferred by Nick Dellow.   This version is listed as being 10574-C.  Put up against the "Diamond Disc" take, it's exactly the same (when you get them running at the same speed)

The sync of the "LP take" moves around a lot compared to the retrieval version - i'm guessing this is due to the producers cutting out clicks, tapes stretching, imperfect tape machine mechanisms, or some other analogue domain issue.

But I noticed something before the clarinet solo which suggests the LP and the DD/Retrieval could be different takes. When the band comes back in after Rollini's solo (2:11 on the DD take, 2:02 on the LP take, and 2:08 on Retrieval), I hear the trumpet entering bang on the beat on the LP take but just a smidgen late on the DD/Retrieval take. You wouldn't call it "late" if you heard it without reference to the version that's spot on, it doesn't sound like a mistake, it sounds juuuust off the beat in a good, jazzy way.

So perhaps they were human after all! Pop the headphones on and have a listen, and reassure me that i'm not dreaming!

Cheers,
Evan.