[78-L] California Ramblers Edison mystery

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Tue Feb 16 21:47:32 PST 2016

And yet there are significant problems to every possible explanation we've
come up with.  Had Biograph had two takes available when they created that
LP the chances of the bad spots / good spots lining up just around the
clarinet seem kinda unlikely and we've acknowledged the records themselves
are pretty scarce so the chance of even having two takes available seems
slim, too - but possible.

Didn't Edison keep track of which takes were issued?  Does any 78-L member
own another take of this thing?

Gotta wonder if this was even a written arrangement or a head job.  Even
solos they read might have some minor variations, even spots in the ensemble
will sometimes carry small differences.  Hard to find 'em here.  And to
suggest that Rollini reused the same solo on different takes just doesn't
quite ring true with what we otherwise think we know about him.  But it sure
seems as though he may have this time, anyway.

I have two theories and they have their problems as well.
My pet theory runs something like this:  Sweet Man was such a popular tune
with their audiences that they had played it every night and got into a
groove with it to the point that they had worked out their solos to the best
possible format and just didn't bother to change them anymore.  Even the two
clarinet solos are rhythmically similar.  Not sure even I would buy that
theory 100%, but we do know that sometimes a solo gets a life of its own
[Singin' the Blues, Dippermouth...], so it is possible.  To extend that to
include all the soloists on this record may be a stretch, admittedly.  And,
of course, if this was such a popular tune as that theory is dependent upon,
why is this their only recording of it?  Incidentally, Michael Brooks' liner
notes says it "drags a bit until Rollini comes roaring in."  I don't quite
buy that, either.  Rollini is often the star on any record he's on, but he's
in really good company here.  He's still the star, but these guys are
holding their own quite respectably, again making it even difficult to
comprehend their carbon copy solos across multiple takes.

So, we're left with a lot of questions involving things we thought we knew
about improvisational jazz and musicians of the Twenties, arranging for
dance bands, and yes, maybe even the technology of Edison recording - and
not much in the way of good answers, so here's my last theory:  Edison was
secretly recording in stereo and we have only heard the right channel until
this copy turned up with the left channel horn closer to the second
clarinetist.  PPPfffft.

If somebody has time and wants to pitch this to one of the facebook groups,
have at it; somebody there may have just as good a theory as anything we
have come up with. Maybe others will find it as intriguing as we have.

Rodger

For best results use Victor Needles