[78-L] California Ramblers Edison mystery

david.diehl at hensteeth.com.invalid david.diehl at hensteeth.com.invalid
Tue Feb 16 22:24:11 PST 2016

Yes, Sweet Man has been my favorite Golden Gate Edison for lo these many years and transcends the mediocrity of the Biograph transfer. To my ear the two performances were in virtual lockstep until the clarinet passages went totally off in different directions, then lockstep again until the close. I suspect that there was irreparable damage to the original disc and they just spliced in material from a different disc which happend to be a different take. These discs were so obscure-who would call them on it? I have found a couple of alternate takes of other Golden Gate sides which differ from my Edisons and IMHO they never display the precision required to justify the assumption that the entire performance of Sweet Man is an alternate.
 DJD
Visit the Blue Pages: the Encyclopedic Guide to 78 RPM Party Records
http://www.hensteeth.com