[78-L] Singing Ladies

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com.invalid
Fri Jan 15 03:47:39 PST 2016

Their real names of the regular trio were Juliet, Gillian, Jeanette and
they were Jewish, their rather orthodox father ruling over their
activities: preventing them from dating boys (none of them got married),
from accepting an invitation from the Bing Crosby Show in the US etc.
Which may explain why they aren't mentioned in any of the production
sheets of the Formby movie that are available on the net today, some of
them pretty extensive. And why there aren't any photos of them available
either.
On the other hand: do the girls in the Formby movie look like three
Jewish sisters from London's East End?
Kristjan

On 2016-01-15 03:45, Mark Bardenwerper wrote:
> On 1/14/2016 2:10 PM, John Wright wrote:
>> Per, I have made enquiries via Facebook and Yahoo groups for
>> suggestions. One suggestion was The Greene Sisters but I have not yet
>> seen a photo of them. The Greene Sisters in the Ben Lyon film Hi Gang!
> Pokin' arond, I think I found their names: "Singing Greene Sisters
> (Judy, Gertie and Jeanette) are joined by youngest sister, Sylvia, who
> is 13." That from *http://tinyurl.com/ztllpor* Dance Band Diaries
> Volume 12 1941-1943 0008 and... from memorylane.org.uk an article
> about Jay Wilbur "Radio was not an entirely new medium to him, because
> he had begun broadcasting with small string orchestras in 1927, the
> year the BBC became a public corporation. Then however light music had
> been seen as a necessary evil, now it was de rigeur. As a result of
> the popularity of Melody From The Sky, which began in April 1936, Jay
> continued to broadcast - most memorably in the series Music While You
> Work and the wartime comedy series Hi Gang, which was broadcast from
> Bristol, whence the BBC Variety Department had been evacuated on the
> outbreak of hostilities. The latter programme featured the American
> couple Ben Lyon and Bebe Daniels, who had settled in England, as well
> as Vic Oliver, the son of an Austrian baron, who had begun his career
> as a conductor and classical violinist. It was when the latter turned
> his talents to comedy that he met and married a young chorus girl,
> thereby becoming Winston Churchill’s son-in-law! The fast pace of the
> show was exemplified by its theme tune I’m Just Wild About Harry, and
> Wilbur was assisted by vocalists Sam Browne and The Greene Sisters.
> One measure of its success was that the cast starred in a 1941 film
> adaptation also entitled Hi Gang". Indeed this group has a recording
> found on the compilation disk called "Swing Britannia" called "In the
> Mood". *http://tinyurl.com/jpozby3*

---