[78-L] Singing Ladies

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net.invalid
Thu Jan 14 18:45:56 PST 2016

On 1/14/2016 2:10 PM, John Wright wrote:
> Per,
>

> I have made enquiries via Facebook and Yahoo groups for suggestions. One
> suggestion was The Greene Sisters but I have not yet seen a photo of them.
> The Greene Sisters in the Ben Lyon film Hi Gang!

Pokin' arond, I think I found their names:
"Singing Greene Sisters (Judy, Gertie and Jeanette) are joined by
youngest sister, Sylvia, who is 13."
That from
*http://tinyurl.com/ztllpor*
Dance Band Diaries Volume 12 1941-1943 0008

and... from memorylane.org.uk
an article about Jay Wilbur
"Radio was not an entirely new medium to him, because he had begun
broadcasting with small string orchestras in 1927, the year the BBC
became a public corporation. Then however light music had been seen as a
necessary evil, now it was de rigeur. As a result of the popularity of
Melody From The Sky, which began in April 1936, Jay continued to
broadcast - most memorably in the series Music While You Work and the
wartime comedy series Hi Gang, which was broadcast from Bristol, whence
the BBC Variety Department had been evacuated on the outbreak of
hostilities.

The latter programme featured the American couple Ben Lyon and Bebe
Daniels, who had settled in England, as well as Vic Oliver, the son of
an Austrian baron, who had begun his career as a conductor and classical
violinist. It was when the latter turned his talents to comedy that he
met and married a young chorus girl, thereby becoming Winston
Churchill’s son-in-law! The fast pace of the show was exemplified by its
theme tune I’m Just Wild About Harry, and Wilbur was assisted by
vocalists Sam Browne and The Greene Sisters. One measure of its success
was that the cast starred in a 1941 film adaptation also entitled Hi Gang".

Indeed this group has a recording found on the compilation disk called
"Swing Britannia" called "In the Mood".
*http://tinyurl.com/jpozby3*

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.