[78-L] playing my 78's

Joe Salerno jsalerno at collector.org.invalid
Thu Oct 1 06:56:20 PDT 2015

Hi John,

Welcome to the world of antique audio!

In addition to setting the stylus weight as per the dials on the
machine, I also watch the thing from the level of the record. If the arm
sinks too low and puts exceissive pressure on the stylus, that's bad
regardless of what any dal says. The arm should sink a little, but not
too much such that the stylus shank is depressed all the way up against
the bottom of the cart.

Some records will sound better because they were recorded better, or are
less worn, others not so much.

2.5 grams is great when it works, but for 78s, more may be required. I'm
surprised you say "some" of the records are off center, as many 78s are
off center, and LPs too for that matter. Warps are a fact of life and do
require an EXCEPTIONAL arm or heavier tracking.

There are better stylii for 78s if you want to make the investment.
There is a company, Expert something-or other, Pick-ups or Stylii, I
don't even remember exactly, in England that custom grinds tips for
different grooves. Not sure they have an internet presence. I'd look but
I'm having internet issues this morning.

Different records, made at different times, require different stylii. It
wasn't a problem in the old days because the steel needles were worn
down to the exact dimensions of the groove by the record as it played.

joe salerno