[78-L] playing my 78's

Ron ron at roscotron.com.invalid
Thu Oct 1 05:23:36 PDT 2015

Is this particular turntable a linear tracking type?  If so, the mechanism
that moves the tone arm across the record may be set for LP records which
have much closer groove spacing than 78's do.  Thus, the 78 rpm grooves
could be pulling the stylus to one side since the tone arm isn't moving
laterally fast enough to keep up with the coarsely spaced 78 grooves.  Also,
does this tone arm have any viscous damping?  That could prevent the tone
arm from following an off center or warped record properly.  Does the
turntable have an anti-skating adjustment and is it set properly?  You might
want to try adjusting it.