[78-L] SIENA Records (Boston, mid 50's), PS

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com.invalid
Sat Aug 22 08:22:43 PDT 2015

On 8/22/2015 10:00 AM, Thomas Stern wrote:
>    I wonder if the Lukas Foss/Zimbler Sinfonietta release was perhaps RECORDED
> in the 50's ???  Worldcat says "1956?",
> the Lukas Foss Bio-Bibliography lists
> the UNICORN album with the 1956 date and
> Billboard Jan 26, 1957 lists the UNICORN
> album.

There was one Unicorn album, according to the Boston Globe's very
reliable classical music reporter Cyrus Durgin, that the Zimblers did
with the Handel & Hayden Society in 1955.  He also mentions that they
recorded an LP for "Boston Records" of the four Mozart horn concertos,
and that they and Lukas Foss next recorded "a collection of intriguing
modern music" including selections by Bartok, Iver, and Milhaud, also on
Unicorn, in 1956  -- but he does not mention Siena anywhere.