[78-L] Columbia Viva-tonal 40000 series

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com.invalid
Thu Aug 13 20:47:33 PDT 2015

Mark is correct. My first reaction to Darrell's question was "One more
zero" but I decided that was too pat an answer. The Co 40000-D series
holds some of the most sought after Hawaiian recordings, with only 37
records in the series. Of those 37 records 5 are non-Hawaiian (plus one
unaccounted for, discographically - Co 40008-D).
Sol Hoopii, "King" Bennie Nawahi, Mme. Riviere, Keaumoku Louis and
Queenie & David Kaili (an Australian/Hawaiian act wose masters were
recorded in Australia) comprise the Hawaiian artists. The Nawahi
material is made up of straight Hawaiian material and Bennie forgoes his
regular jazz/vaudeville steel guitar style to play it straight.
I am only missing 5 of the Hawaiians and the 4 non-Hawaiian sides in my
collection.
Malcolm

*******